Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you experience a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner breakdown. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so hot wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be working correctly, but it still says that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners stop working, especially bearing in mind the weather in Florissant. Here are some things that you can look for before you call B & B Heating & Cooling if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and see that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat relocation isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to hang around in your home. This failure can also cause overheating of the compressor and other possible internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar troubles that B & B Heating & Cooling sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner decrease proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season hits. Filthy air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always search for an barrier or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to lose efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also deterred from outdoor barriers around your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is unrestricted by obstacles and is cleaned frequently to decrease the possibility of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and steps that you should look into and answer to get your system up and running again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t switch on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system operation, call B & B Heating & Cooling at 314-325-7552.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you restless at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at B & B Heating & Cooling in Florissant is always here to assist – give us a call at 314-325-7552.