Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Florissant, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at B & B Heating & Cooling can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give B & B Heating & Cooling in Florissant a call to get started. Give us a shout at 314-325-7552 or arrange an appointment with us online.