Summer weather in Florissant can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve compiled some tips to make it simple.
The best thing you can do to stay comfy and sustain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and B & B Heating & Cooling is able to assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure proper system airflow.
Another key to staying cool is consistently looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could raise energy costs and damage your equipment, which could lead to untimely failure. Our B & B Heating & Cooling professionals will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people routinely forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give B & B Heating & Cooling at call at 314-325-7552 or request an appointment with us online.