Spring is in the air here in Florissant and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The B & B Heating & Cooling team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to conserve energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give B & B Heating & Cooling in Florissant a call at 314-325-7552.